1 a specialized division of a large organization; "you'll find it in the hardware department"; "she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury" [syn: section]
2 the territorial and administrative division of some countries (such as France)
3 a specialized sphere of knowledge; "baking is not my department"; "his work established a new department of literature"
- A part, portion, or subdivision.
- A distinct course
of life, action, study, or the like; appointed sphere or walk;
- Superior to Pope in Pope's own peculiar department of literature. Macaulay.
- Subdivision of business or official duty; especially, one of the principal divisions of executive government; as, the treasury department; the war department; also, in a university, one of the divisions of instructions; as, the medical department; the department of physics.
- A territorial division; a district; esp., in France, one of the districts composed of several arrondissements into which the country is divided for governmental purposes; as, the Department of the Loire.
- A military subdivision of a country; as, the Department of the Potomac.
- Act of departing; departure.
- Sudden departments from one extreme to another. Wotton.
A department is a part of a larger organization with a specific responsibility. For the division of organizations into departments, see departmentalization.
- A department store is a retail store that includes many specialized departments such as clothing or household items.
- In the magazine context:
- Articles, essays and columns that follow a certain consistency under one topic.
department in Asturian: Departamentu
department in Belarusian (Tarashkevitsa): Дэпартамэнт
department in Breton: Departamant
department in Czech: Department
department in Danish: Departement
department in German: Departement
department in Spanish: Departamento
department in French: Département
department in Indonesian: Departemen
department in Italian: Dipartimento#Voci_correlate
department in Dutch: Departement
department in Norwegian Nynorsk: Departement
department in Narom: Département
department in Occitan (post 1500): Departament
department in Polish: Departament
department in Russian: Департамент
department in Slovak: Department
department in Swedish: Departement
department in Turkish: Département
airspace, ambit, area, arena, bailiwick, beat, belt, border, borderland, branch, bureau, circle, circuit, commissariat, concern, confines, constablery, constablewick, constabulary, continental shelf, control, corridor, country, demesne, discipline, district, division, domain, dominion, environs, field, ground, heartland, hemisphere, hinterland, judicial circuit, jurisdiction, land, march, milieu, ministry, municipality, neighborhood, office, offshore rights, orb, orbit, pale, part, parts, place, precinct, precincts, premises, province, purlieus, quarter, realm, region, responsibility, round, salient, secretariat, section, segment, sheriffalty, sheriffwick, shrievalty, soil, space, sphere, subdiscipline, subdivision, terrain, territory, three-mile limit, twelve-mile limit, unit, vicinage, vicinity, walk, worry, zone